Saturday, June 16, 2007

Aaargh! Bernie Ecclestone makes my blood boil and all civility in me melt into a soluble liquid that then proceeds to flow out of my very being. Yes, I hate him that much and every remark and decision that he makes regarding my beloved F1 fills me with utmost dread. Mr Ecclestone is none other than F1's chief (sad fact, this is) who has the most unfortunate tendency to come across as a money and publicity loving a** (he probably is too). Add to that his seeming dislike of Ferrari and you have a very fine specimen to aid in the study of imbecility.

Slowly, he's threatening to ruin the very essence of F1 by taking off the racing calender many 'classic' race tracks (Spa in Belgium, San Marino in Italy, and Austria to name but a few) and setting many new and sometimes nonsensical rules for the sport. Anyone remember the 'no changing of tyres during race day' rule that was so dangerous?

What is he up to now? Well, he's threatening to take Indianapolis off the racing calender by not renewing their contract which expires after tomorrow's race there. Indianapolis!! Gah, and all because new tracks are going to be introduced next year and in the coming years. Frankly, I don't really like the Asian tracks. And even Malaysia is being threatened because neighboring Singapore will be having a night race from next year onwards.

I really don't quite like the Asian tracks as well as new tracks whether in Asia or in other continents as new tracks don't have the exhilarating 'feel' of history and beauty about it. Most of the new tracks are in deserts or on land that is very barren and near devoid of lush foliage. That's not good. For me, part of the lure of a F1 track is the natural beauty surrounding it. Case in point is Austria and Canada (which is still on the racing calender). The Austrian track has breathtaking views of the hills that surround the tracks. Actually, I can understand Austria being taken off as it's not the safest track out there... but lately, I'm seeing more and more of tracks whicha re close to my heart being swiped off the calender for reasons such as 'we have to make space for the new up and coming tracks in other parts of the world'.

And now Bernie Ecclestone is talking like F1 is nothing but a business venture and a money churner for him. Fine, it IS profit driven and everything needs money I guess, but F1 has a very deep place in the hearts of its fans and frankly speaking, the huge amount of sponsors I'm sure the Middle East tracks bring cannot replace the history and beauty other tracks - particularly the European ones - possess.

I'm not being racist or placing undue emphasis on Europe, and I'm happy that there are finally tracks in Asia as I'm an Asian myself. But half the calender does not need to be full of new tracks built especially for Formula 1 and all boasting cutting edge technology and design, with nothing else in terms of natural beauty and history.

0 sweets:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin