Sunday, November 15, 2009



One more paper to go. It's a blood sucking vampire of a paper, but the battle continues!

.Nil desperandum auspice deo.

Although... if vampires were as cuddly and cute as the one in Sesame Street..... XD

On another note, I've been very touched by the suicide of Robert Enke.

It struck a particularly deep chord in me because he was fighting the same battle that I fight now - a battle that millions continue to fight.

Depression, anxiety disorder, and especially the dreaded fear of failure.

To quote Dirke Enke, father of Robert:

"He did not have faith in himself. He was trapped within his own ambition."

It's frighteningly familiar, and during particularly dark days, Robert Enke might very well be Adele.

Ambition. Such a strong word with huge potential for self-destruction. There's always the fear that good is merely not enough, only the best would do. But how many can actually be the best?

And faith in one's self. It is so easily stripped away and deconstructed. So fragile and easily shattered.

Often, Liberal Arts and Business Studies are polar opposites in terms of ideology. Whilst Arts eschews materialism and conformity, Business Studies encourages profits and - to an extent - conformity.

Thankfully, I've got both to keep me in balance, walking the middle path.

2 years on and despite the constant struggle not to sink underwater, I'm so grateful for what education at Monash has taught me.

Although I would not have wished for all the tears and sweat that have been shed, I've grown up. Tougher, wiser, more resilient, but still with the touch of naivete that I hope never to lose.

Truly, Ancora Imparo - I am always learning.

Thank you, Robert, for the moments of self reflection which you have given us, and for highlighting the destructive nature of a mental condition that is still highly stigmatized.

May you finally be at peace.

0 sweets:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin